Uni Students! 10 Top Tips for Making Effective Notes
University work can be hard to organise. There’s lots of it, it’s complicated and it’s often difficult to keep track of. It’s therefore essential you organise your hard work in an intelligent and logical way. If you do so, it makes it so much easier to understand, digest and access… and you’ll be much more likely to get higher grades!
Read on for some top tips about making the most effective notes…
- Write in colour! 90% of the information transmitted to your brain is visual, so if you can make your work eye-catching and colourful, you’ve got a much better chance of remembering it. Research shows that coloured writing can make you up to 80% more likely to remember what you’re reading! The best colours to go for are red, yellow and orange.
- Use good quality coloured pens and highlighters that are easy to write with and easier on the eye for reading.
- (Plus good-quality coloured paper and post-it notes!)
- Make notes by hand rather than using a computer. Writing your notes helps your brain process the information and remember it more easily.
- Create a transcription system for yourself. Instead of writing down everything your lecturer says, just write key notes, quotations and dates. You can then devise your own codes and shorthand to fill in the blanks. If you try to write everything you might miss something important so listen hard and be selective!
- Use folders and binders to stay organised. Devise a system that works for you to divide your notes into categories. This will make them much easier to find.
- Use diagrams! Again, the brain is visual, so pictures – however quirky – make facts and concepts more memorable.
- Summarise the essentials. At the end of every lesson and topic, create a brief and relevant summary. You’ll be glad you did when you’re revising or trying to find relevant information for your thesis.
- Ask questions! If you aren’t sure of something, ask. And make sure you ask straight away – if you leave it too late, you may forget the question, or forget why it’s relevant in the first place.
- Be realistic. Don’t beat yourself up if you miss something. No notes are ever perfect… but follow these guidelines and they’ll be as close as it gets!
You also need to make sure the equipment you use is good quality. And ours is the best! For all your student supplies, come to us. We’ve provided London university students with quality materials for decades. The better the materials, the better the notes. And the better the notes, the better the grades!
We’re also open at the weekends. Our University of Greenwich store (which is located on campus) is open Saturday 10-6 and Sunday 11-6, while our nearby South Street Shop is open Saturday 10-5. We also offer 10% off for students, along with dissertation binding and printing. Whether you study art, architecture, business or something else, our supplies are the best in London. Pop in! And all the best for the coming year!