How to Start Landscape Painting in 2019
2019 is a great time to start painting landscapes.
Receiving new gifts often makes people keen to embark on a new hobby.
So, if you fancy doing something new, why not take up landscape painting? We’ve got some top tips for you, even if you’ve never picked up a paintbrush in your life.
Here’s what you should think about when embarking on your first landscape painting venture:
- Kick off by thinking about focal points – what are the main features in your landscape? Whether you’re copying a picture, a photo or an actual view, this is the essential first step. Start by considering only the focal points, then everything else will fall into place.
- Pick out the darkest and lightest areas to begin with. A contrast in colour creates a great foundation from which to start painting.
- Learn how to effectively mix colours. If you can mix colours well, you’re not limited by the shades and hues you can buy. Instead, you have access to an infinite amount of shades to pick out detail and make layered paintings.
- Use a palette knife as well as brushes to create extra texture. Many beginners don’t realise what great effect textures can have on a painting.
- Impressions are greater than detail. Start by creating blocks of colour then use these to create features.
- Embrace imperfection. You won’t be perfect; no one ever is. Monet never was. Don’t be afraid of imperfection, embrace it!
It’s also essential to make sure you have good materials. In order to do so, you should visit a shop with knowledgeable staff.
Luckily, you’ve found us! We stock a wide range of products for landscape painting from some of the best art suppliers in the world as well as goods produced locally. We also love to talk about art so if you need some advice, we’re here to help.